In 2017, NOWSA held the first Mercer Island Marathon Swim, or MIMS for short. The event is inspired by the old MIMS in New York, it is meant to be a day where swimmers can meet each other face-to-face and share in a marathon swim that is both challenging yet approachable.
MIMS is held on a Friday in early June, so it is not a warm swim. In 2017, temperatures were around 64F, with the south wind generating a cold spot (59F) at the southern end of the Island. Swimmers should be prepared for this, and should be prepared to prove that they have adequate experience and training during the application process. And Why a Friday, you ask? Simply, the lake gets very crowded with recreational boats in the summer, and we'd like you to be safe. It was either that, or add a few miles by following the island shoreline the whole way around.
Your entry fee will cover the following:
- Swim event fees, including park rental, swag, volunteers, etc.
- Your boat. That's right, you don't have to bring your own boat! If you have your own, a discount is available.
- Your observer.
- Event insurance.
- A NOWSA annual membership. (You may upgrade to a full lifetime membership during the same year by paying the difference.)
What is not included:
- Transportation, lodging, food.
- Your crew. Plan to bring someone with you.
- A paddler or kayaker. We may have some volunteers available, but they are not guaranteed.
How to apply
Registration will open in winter 2018, and will be on a first-come-first-serve basis. NOWSA will review applications and evaluate each candidate for suitability. NOWSA reserves the right to reject any application for any reason.
Check back for more information soon, or contact us to let us know you are interested.