Friday, 8 June 2018
In 2017, NOWSA held the first Mercer Island Marathon Swim, or MIMS for short. The event is inspired by the old MIMS in New York, it is meant to be a day where swimmers can meet each other face-to-face and share in a marathon swim that is both challenging yet approachable.
MIMS is held on a Friday in early June, so it is not a warm swim. In 2017, temperatures were around 64F, with the south wind generating a cold spot (59F) at the southern end of the Island. Swimmers should be prepared for this, and should be prepared to prove that they have adequate experience and training during the application process. And Why a Friday, you ask? Simply, the lake gets very crowded with recreational boats in the summer, and we'd like you to be safe. It was either that, or add a few miles by following the island shoreline the whole way around.
The 2018 fee is $700. We're very excited to be able to offer this event for less than last year.
Your entry fee will cover the following:
- Swim event fees, including park rental, insurance, swag, volunteers, etc.
- Your boat. That's right, you don't have to bring your own boat! If you have your own, a discount is available.
- Your observer.
- Event insurance.
- A NOWSA annual membership. (You may upgrade to a full lifetime membership during the same year by paying the difference.)
What is not included:
- Transportation, lodging, food.
- Your crew. Plan to bring someone with you.
- A paddler or kayaker. We may have some volunteers available, but they are not guaranteed. You're welcome to bring your own.
How to apply
Registration for 2018 is closed.
NOWSA reserves the right to reject applications for any reason. Selection for 2018 will be made by mid-February, and a 25% non-refundable deposit is due by 1 March 2018.