NOWSA is presently accepting applications for solo swims for 2018. Swim applications can be made directly to the board, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
For info on the Mercer Island Marathon Swim, visit the MIMS page.
How to APply
First, get in touch with NOWSA early. Planning usually involves months of preparations on our part, so help us plan ahead by giving a minimum of three months' notice.
When you are ready to apply, have the following information in mind:
- Swim route, should be from sanctioned swims, or see below for new routes
- Swim history, including substantiated speed
- Preferred pilot and support crew
- Preferred swim window, may be subject to change based on conditions and availability
- NOWSA membership
Then, send us an email and we'll start the planning process. NOWSA may request additional information and verification, such as a training plan or qualifying swim before an application is approved.
To Do list
You aren't doing this alone. NOWSA has been doing this now for a while now, and we are here to help.
What we'll do
Don't do these things, we'll take care of them:
- Arrange an observer.
- Contact the Coast Guard and Customs.
- Provide insurance.
- Provide tracking through track.rs/nowsa/.
- Provide an AIS Class A device (not required for Lake Washington).
- Record the swim.
What you'll do
We can help, but these things are your responsibility:
- Get your crew together.
- Arrange your pilot.
- Arrange lodging and transportation.
- Submit your membership dues and event fees at least one month before the swim.
What we can share
You can do it, we can do it, you decide:
- Pick your dates and tide.
- Contact the media.
Don't be afraid to ask.
We're glad to help pick a route, a distance, or a time of year that fits your goals.
If you're looking to do a route that isn't listed, we're glad to help you plan.
Don't be shy.